Tuesday, May 30, 2017

CALORIE FREE BLOG POST

No recipes, no pictures of pie and the only jelly rolls you might see will be made of fabric.
3 Things on the agenda for today are showing off a few road trip treasures, my quilty catastrophe, and another project by Mr O.

 

Last week I took my my 2 sewing machines for a ride. The shop and service man that works on my machines is 2.5 hours away. The distance is a bit inconvenient but there is a sweet deal at the end of the ride. Edmonston is a border town. It is just a short jaunt across the river to Maine and a very unique fabric store. Mardens is a discount general store with a PHENOMENAL fabric department!
Hundreds and hundreds of bolts of fabric. Wonderful designer fabric, Amy Butler, Robyn Pandolph, Denyse Schmidt; lovely Maywood Studio fabrics(I LOVE the quality of Maywood fabrics!) RJR, Free Spirit, lovely Dowton Abbey fabrics. Etc etc etc. Best of all the prices are amazing! The most expensive fabrics are $4.49 but most run from $2.29 to $3.99 AND they give a 10% guild discount or group discount. Even with the Canadian dollar against the US it is still a great bargain! 
Hobb's batting is $6.99. Great deal on pillowcase kits, $2.49-$5.25 per kit.

 

 

 

I bought 5 yds of Hobb's batting, 4 pillowcase kits, 29 yards of top quality quilting cotton, and a half yd of thermolam batting for $143.00.    START THE CAR!

This week I decided to wash several of my quilts. It was a perfect day to line dry them and really freshen them up. I believe in using my quilts and they get washed as needed. All four of the quilts had been previously washed at least 2 or 3 times. 

 Looks nice eh? Let's take a closer look
 

 



Both of these red and white quilts have been washed at least twice, but apparently not together, because what was once a lovely white backing is now a mottled pink/red. Egads!
I looked all over town for Bounce colour catchers with no luck. Thankfully I have a quilting friend who had a box of colour catchers at home and she was willing to give them to me. I rewashed this quilt 6 more times with vinegar, with Oxi clean, with colour catchers ( all 30 sheets!). I even watered down a 1/4 cup of bleach and added it to one load. The back is not white but it is better than it was and thankfully I did not ruin the front of the quilt.

 

Look how much colour came out in the colour catchers!

 

Lesson learned. I will be washing these babies alone next time!

And now the latest project for my sewing room brought to you by Mr O.

 

My new cutting table! Lots of space for cutting and mulling over colours and fabrics. Lots of storage underneath.
 

 

Mr O did all the construction and I did the staining and varnishing. I used Minwax White Oak Stain.
 

 

The plans for the table came from an online source. I found it

HERE

Mr O made a few changes in the dimensions as per my request. It was made to fit my space. The rod at the end of the table was purchased last year at IKEA and the plan was to mount it on the wall above my old cutting table but after getting a wood table it was a perfect fit for the end.

As promised all the goodies I shared were calorie free!  HOWEVER the first crop of rhubarb is ready to be harvested so I can't promise the next post will be calorie free.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.