Saturday, December 28, 2013

Special Gift From Special Friends

I knew today would be a travel day with quite likely not too much happening, worth blogging about, so I saved a little story from yesterday for today. 

Yesterday I mentioned I received a special gift from special friends...let me explain. 
We are a group of 12 or 13 ladies, who have made friendships because of our love of quilting. Some of us may never have crossed paths if it had not been for quilting, but over the years we have formed a bond that most would find enviable. 
Not many people go through life never having troubles or difficulties, and we are no exception, but if you have to have trials and difficulties, these are the ladies you want in your corner! 
We have been there for each other through cancer and many other health problems, through deaths of different family members, moving and packing, trials and worries over our children and other family members and through fun times and celebrations as well. 
A long time ago we decided to do something special when one of turns the BIG 60. If I remember correctly we started gifting a quilted wall hanging, but over the last few years that has grown to a lap quilt.  The gift is always a surprise and a combination of each ladies efforts and fabrics (except for the Birthday Gal of course)
This was my year!  ...and boy did I luck out!. I'm not sure what I did to warrant this quilt, but it is significantly larger than a lap quilt!


What a beauty eh? They know me well, so red was a natural colour choice. I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but threw in a little yellow here and there. What a happy, happy quilt! I was presented with it a bit earlier than my birthday, because I was going to be away on an extended trip, and this caused a few problems for the girls. Not only is Christmas a busy time for all, but this was a busy year for our group, because we had three 60th birthday quilts to make!
They were not able to get it quilted before I left so they presented it to me as a "flimsy" with a promise that it would be quilted and ready when I return home in the spring.
I had a day or two to take it home and enjoy it before returning it to them.  When I brought it home and showed it to Mr. O, he was already in bed, so I just spread it out on top of our bed quilt to "view" it. 
It looked so at home there, that I decided to leave it there and sleep under it just one night...silly maybe, but I was so thrilled to have it.


The next morning I folded it up and got it ready to return to the senders for it's final touch. It will be waiting for me when I return. 
Gifts like that make turning 60 a lot easier!
Thank you Deb, Donna, Holly, Charline, Florence, Sue, Susan, Paula, Norah Jean, Louanne, Glenda and Anne. I will treasure it always.


The words that escape a friend's mouth are "I'll be there when you say you need me" but the words that are unheard from a true friend's heart are "I'll be there... whether you say you need me or not."

Unknown




8 comments:

  1. WOW! How lucky and special are you! What a lovely quilt and what a wonderful group of friends! I see some familiar faces there - I'm waving!! HI Donna, Anne, Sue, Paula and Glenda!
    Oh, and girls- my 60th is coming up in March... just sayin'... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty quilt and such a wonderful surprise. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to read our story in print. I'm so glad you like it! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I would be thrilled if someone ever made me a quilt. I would be beyond overjoyed. How lucky you are to have people that care for you and love you. Don't ever take it for granted. Happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous quilt! I can say it fits the recipient perfectly. How envious to have such a group of close friends, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First thing I want to mention is that that is a beautiful post... And your birthday quilt is so beautiful too..
    The second thing I want to mention is that I thought you turned 50 not 60.. You do not look 60..
    And third thing I want to mention is that you are Blessed to know you have such a wonderful group of quilting ladies..
    God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely quilt for a wonderful friend. Glad you were surprised, sorry I wasn't there.

    Take care, Deb

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.