Thursday, December 26, 2013

Seasons Greetings



The big day is past. We spent it quietly in our condo. I did not even go out for a walk. Leisurely morning  
And afternoon. We opted for a roast beef dinner instead of turkey. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots and peas! With cherry pie for dessert.  
I did some piecing of my scrappy granny square blocks, and made a little headway.


I am loving my new iron!

Mr. O gave me some wonderful gifts in my stocking.( he went a little overboard so some didn't quite fit IN the stocking). He found a few more treasures for me at the vintage flea market store. Another old wooden spool for my collection...and a red pyrex refrigerator dish I have been hunting for since breaking the lid to mine a couple years ago..

Also a replica of an old farm truck holding salt and pepper shakers (for the cottage)
I got a canvas bag from Williamsburg, and a reproduction antique thimble from Jamestown.
A replica of one found on site during an archealogical dig.

Let's see... What else was in that stocking? Oh yes a scarf clip, and a new(to my library) quilt pattern book of Carrie Nelson


The coiled fabric is a trivet.
And the last thing tucked in there was a container of what I call "quilting vitamins"


Today we went to a very interesting "attraction" in the Branson area. 
College Of The Ozarks or better know as Hard Work U.  
The college offers a liberal arts program with majors and minors in 45 areas. All students who are admitted must demonstrate financial need, academic ability, sound character, and a willingness to work. This produces a student body highly motivated toward education. Each full-time student works at one of the 80 campus jobs or industries to pay in part for his or her cost of education. The remaining portion of each student's expenses is made up through scholorships provided by gifts and contributions from donors who believe in and support the programs and policies of the College.
Special recognitions the college has received:
US News and World Report, "best College" yearly since 1989
Forbes, Americas Top Volleges
Templeton Honor Roll, "Character Building College"
Kaplan Newsweek, "Most Desirable Small School"
It is listed up there with Princeton and Harvard!
On site is an amazing dining room where a good portion of the food is grown, as well as grains and dairy. 
We had lunch there today and have reserved a spot for supper tomorrow evening. Truly a class act!




The campus has a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere, very conducive to learning. 
A few more pics tomorrow...




















4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Wendy and Mr. O. Glad to read that all is going well with you. It's a shame though that you are missing all the SNOWY weather we are having in NB!! Oh my goodness! I think it has snowed or "precipitated" in SOME way every day for over a week.. I think we're going to be buried before spring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! You sure got some fun gifts in your stocking! I had a quilting friend who went to that college. I remember her telling me about it. She is a bit older than me--maybe in her late 50s now. I thought it sounded like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and Mr O. We are back home after a lovely Christmas in Moncton and have exciting news - Jonathan and Jill are engaged. Hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year!
    Looks like you and Mr. O are having the greatest time. Love your little red iron.
    I just purchased some Downton Abbey fabric and can't wait to get started on a quilt.
    Susan from Williamsburg

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.