Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Still on the Road!

But hope to be home by Sunday! It has been busy these last 2 weeks...what a surprise eh? Goodness, it has been a busy 2 1/2 months. Who knew vacationing could be so tiring?
We spent a week in Saskatchewan with our daughter and son in law and the grandkids. Spoiled them a bit...well more than a bit, but it was fun!
Grand-daughter S. and I did a little sewing for great grand-daughter M.
We made a cloth book from a printed panel. Normally that would be a pretty easy project, however we worked on a 37 year old Omega basic sewing machine. I had to go out and buy scissors. I had my new fancy ripper, no straight pins but I did have a small pkg. of safety pins in my toiletries bag. It was a "make do" kind of project. I did take a picture of S. at the machine, but can you believe I forgot to take a pic of the finished project.

I visited three of the local quilt shops in Regina, and had picked up the prettiest piece of colourful sketched bird fabric. I really had no project in mind for it, and at 15.00 a yard I only purchased a half yd. It hardly seems fair that they have three quilt shops in the immediate city and we have none! If you get to Regina, be sure to check them out; Cindy-Rella's, Astrin's Attic, and Peachtree.
Later that day, my daughter called from work and said, " Mom, can you make me a microwave rice bag for my aching body from that pretty bird fabric?" She manages a fitness centre, and right now is training for a gruelling " Tough Mudder " competition, charity event. If you google "tough mudder" you will get an idea of why she has sore aching muscles after training. The rice bag I made is sort of "U" shaped and goes behind the neck, down the shoulder blades, and over the shoulders in the front. It is channel quilted and each channel filled with rice and then closed up. Pop it in the microwave to heat it up and enjoy! Just the thing for "tough mudders" AND quilters with aching neck and shoulders. It was a pattern from an on-line tutorial. This is the second one I have made, both of them were gifts, but I intend to make myself one soon!
Again though, I forgot to take photos.
We bought S. a little used car for getting to school and for back and forth to work. She was thrilled!

Grandson K. has his own car, but what you do for one...so we decided to start an RSP for him of the equivalent value. He too was thrilled and has since started a payroll deduction plan to contribute to his savings! You are never to young to start saving for retirement!

We had a busy week and I left the picture taking till the last night and had little or no cooperation from my subjects...sigh

Pa and Madison were really the ones who cooperated!

Can you believe the amount of snow they still have! Very unusual for the prairies, and it was snowing again the day we left!
After tearful good byes we headed south of the border to North Dakota, across Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan and up to Sault Ste Marie Ontario.
To ease my breaking heart at having to say goodbye to the grandkids Mr. O took me to a quilt shop in Minot, North Dakota . I chose a shop from my trust Quilter's Travel Companion, and when we found it out in the countryside in a private home, I thought it might not be too extensive and said I would probably just be a few minutes...HA!
One hour and more than a few dollars later, I returned back to the car and a waiting Mr.O. He had been able to hook up to someone's wifi service and had kept himself occupied, and so had I.

Some of my haul.

In Sault Ste Marie, it was a very busy 5 and a half days. So good to see my sister and brother again, as well as cousins, and my aunt and uncle. We moved my brother from his old nursing home residence to a brand new facility. There were a few, well actually a few dozen kinks to iron out, but I think everybody was happy with the results when we waved goodbye yesterday afternoon. It is always so sad to say goodbye leave and him there, but it is good to know he is safe and well cared for.

I am writing this as we are driving down the hi way, and will post as we get some service. Hope to have some fun news for my next post.

6 comments:

  1. Ahh I enjoyed your trip from the prairies to soo...wish I could of been hiding in the trunk and popped out when you got to pams. Gary looks so happy in his new dwelling. Thanks for sharing. And what a surprise to see savannah and her new wheels. So nice you could do that for the kids. Will look forward to tomorrows post

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way...I love the pictures of you and gary and georges and maddison!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering how your trip was going. How nice to be able to see grandkids and family! My nephew is getting married in Minot, ND this summer. We may be going and if so, I may check out that shop! Safe travels the rest of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so looking forward to seeing you again....and are you going to have a "showing" of all of your purchases? Susan will be back home this weekend too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home based quilt shops can easily fool us. The first patchwork shop I ever discovered was home based, extensive and offered great classes. I was hooked from the first time I entered. The owner said I would be and sent home a small gift for my husband as a peace offering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Donna, I am looking forward to seeing you and all of your "stuff" [in that order!]. We're running out of Schnibbles time......I seem to need my partner around to get motivated!!!
    Safe travels home.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.