Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Plans

Mr O. and I made the move to Winterpast yesterday. Not quite according to plan, but done just the same.
Last summer I had made plans to visit Mom in the hospital and then take her home to help care for her while she recuperated from surgery; you may know that did not work according to my plans either, because Mom's condition deteriorated and ultimately she passed away, never having left the hospital.
One evening while sitting by Mom's bed I was chatting with one of the nurses, and mentioned that I planned to take Mom home to help care for her, but things were not looking good. Her reply to me was this; " my mother used to tell us growing up that we can make all the plans we want, but we are not the ones in charge."
Even though I know and believe that, I guess hearing it put that way at that particular time made quite an impression on me.
I have never forgotten those words and have used them many times since.

My sister was to have arrived at our local airport last night and we had planned a wonderful relaxing vacation; quilting together for as much as we wanted, picnic lunches, walks on the beaches, just relaxing for the next two weeks.
Her Mom in law passed away on Sunday less than 24 hours before her flight was to leave for New Brunswick. Rest in Peace Kay. You will be greatly missed.

Understandably, I am saddened for all the family, and disappointed that our time together has not materialized. We had just spoken last week on the phone, saying it was almost nine years since her last visit, and we planned so much...but again I am reminded that we can make all the plans we want, but we are not in charge...
After a very busy day with lots of packing, and toting, and cleaning and unpacking I was exhausted. (and still feeling disappointed that I was not going to be spending the next 2 weeks with Barb) we arrived at Winterpast to this...

...and woke to this...

...and this.

...so yes my plans were changed, but really I can't complain. All is well.

4 comments:

  1. We do have to learn to go with the flow don't we? I see it as a part of growing up. We fight against it for so long. Acceptance is more peaceful. And you are definitely in the place for peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God closes some doors but opens others and shows us His beauty.. Beautiful spot you have there Wendy.. Looks so peaceful..
    I have my summer off and not making any major plans and hopefully God will lead me to some great and fun events..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sorry for your sister's loss as well as that of your mother. Winterpast looks absolutely beautiful. I love the name--perfect for a summer visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh Sis....interesting that I Should come to this post this morning...My family all left yesterday and when I aswoke this morning I kept thinking of what we would be doing today had I been able to be with you...I miss you and feel a bit cheated of our time that was supposed to be but yes. we do not have final control on things and believe strongly that the Lord is in control and you and I will still have that much needed time together, just not sure when. I love you, Sis.....

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.