Thursday, January 5, 2012

I forgot...



Yesterday, in the wee hours of the morning, I had an amazingly clever title and subject for todays post. Today...it is gone! Vanished into thin air...how is that possible? I have been mucking around on my blog and a few others hoping it would come back to me, but alas, it was not to be; so instead, I will fill you in on what I've been up to.
I finished the old year with a finish! You may recall the dresden plate quilt I started in October for a dear friend who lost her husband. It is made from a collection of his shirts.
I have 2 more doilies to hand sew onto the centres of the plates and it is ready to wrap and mail. Next, I have to clean up some of my mess and get to work on the next project. Working on a PhD is no small undertaking and I am focused right now.
Back to the Dresden plate...earlier this year I was referred to a link on youtube with a tutorial on spray basting your quilt on a design wall (she starts on this subject at around the 6:20 mark of the video). It caught my attention and I thought I would give it a try because it seemed to make a lot of sense. I do not have a huge design wall, so I wouldn't be able to do a queen sized quilt, but for the size I was doing it worked very well! (with a little help from Mr. O)




Not the most becoming photos, but you get the idea. The whole process took about 10 minutes tops!




The machine quilting took considerably longer .
It is the first project "Ruby" and I have quilted together. It is far from perfect and I have a lot to learn, but we'll do okay Ruby and I. 

On Monday one of our granddaughters came to spend a couple days with us. We knew she would be visiting so we kept her Christmas gifts here. She seemed quite pleased with everything.



I had forgotten how life with a teenager can be...


Bathroom BEFORE a shower




Bathroom AFTER a shower!
Thankfully she picked up after herself. Despite having EVERY light in the house left on, the computer being in constant use and the frequent visits to the refrigerator and microwave we loved having her visit. 
She sat to the computer one day and saw my blog up on the screen and gave a bit of a giggle and said..."that's so cute! My Nan blogs!"
We miss you Lex!
p.s. I was hoping that as I wrote this blog post yesterday's brilliant idea would come back to me, but no luck...


(found on a lolriot.com)






3 comments:

  1. Oh that is such a cute bit at the end about the lady who got stopped for speeding. Perfectly reasonable.
    How nice to have your gran daughter for a few days. It looks like you spent quality time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of spray basting but I just don't have the wall... Your quilt is beautiful.. It is more beautiful in person as I seen it while at the guild on Tuesday... Love the doily idea..
    My sons have been away from home now going on about 10 years but my husband and I host international students for semesters at a time, so on that note, I know what you mean about having a teenager in the house.. Looking forward to be hosting another this coming February..
    Well I babysit children in my home and one little guy is coming in now so have a good day...
    God Bless...
    Gail Martin..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow! I would never of known Alexa had I met her on the street! She has changed a lot. and so thin.... so glad you were able to have some time with her. Those moments will be treasured along with the quilt you have done for Jean....bEaUtiFul !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.