Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I should have known better...

I am probably the only quilter on the planet who has not made a "rag" quilt. I have however made a rag cushion cover and a rag jacket. These projects did not require using a batting between the pieces of flannel. I had a large amount of flannels and brushed cottons remaining, so I decided to make a simple rag quilt. Just 5 inch blocks. Sew them in strips...slap, slap; quick and easy! I made them the same way I made my cushion. Match 2 blocks together, sew an "X" from corner to corner and repeat, and repeat, and repeat. After I had a very large number of blocks done I realized I should have put batting in between them to give them a little more body and warmth. Too bad I had to sew about 200 blocks together before coming to this conclusion. Do you have any idea how long it takes to "un-sew" a stack of blocks like this? Let's just say it is not a speedy process.


The job is a little more pleasant with a cold jug of lemon water and something to watch to help keep the mind occupied during such a "mindless" project. So that's precisely what I did.



I hooked up the lap top to the bigger screen tv and googled quilters television and played some videos. I had a "rip" (pun intended) snorting good time and tackled an unpleasant job. I am about 3/4's of the way finished and I know I will be much happier with the finished result.
...and while I am at it, I may as well tell you another boo boo I made. I started making myself a bag this summer. I know you should read all through the pattern to acquaint yourself with the steps before starting any sewing, but come on! I have made so many purses I just dove right in...well when I got the part that said to assemble the lining, I decided to add batting to the lining and quilt it as well as the outer bag...more body; a more professional looking product in the end. So far so good; but when I started to assemble said bag, this caused me some some grief so I had to do a little damage control. A little ripping, a little tweeking here and there and in the long run I think I will end up with a better product, but I have to tell you I am not too fond of the directions in this pattern and will not be making it again!


Tomorrow I plan to sew a good portion of my day away and hopefully I won't need my ripper even once!

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you ripped out that many blocks! I would have just finished it as is. You are patient.
    Nice to see you yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Sis now I know why you so quickly offered to help a sister in need out! You are a pro at it...wow good for you , not sure what I would of done? I could see my self starting over rather than stitch rip....good for you! and I like the looks of that bag...what pattern is it though, so I dont attempt to make it if it caused you that much greif! ha ha thanks again for rippin out my flower applique's :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.