Friday, October 1, 2010

Starting to feel Human...

Amazing what a plane ride across 5 time zones can do to you. You think, okay I may need a day to catch up, but you would be wrong...so wrong. Especially when you get blindsided with a cold and sore throat. All week I have felt like I have been hit by a truck; today not so bad...the sunshine may have a bit to do with it. It is so nice to look out and see the fall colors. I always say I am a Winter child, and I do love winter, but I think I love Fall just as much. It is mesmerizing to just stand at the window and look at all the colors, and it is such a treat because it seems to change every day , so you just never seem to tire of them.

note: see how fast time flies it is tomorrow already. I was sitting at the computer writing away on my blog and thought , " I should go take a picture of all the fall colors for today's entry."


Well one thing led to another; I started tiding up, which led to something else, and I just never got back to finishing my post and here we are into Friday! Seems I do that a lot these days...start one thing which leads to something else, which leads to something else etc and before you know it I have several unfinished jobs on the go. If you are a quilter you may have some idea of what I mean.
I was noticing my list of UFO's and I think it may be time to rethink them. Let's face it, there are just some things you lose interest in and know you will never finish and I think there may be a few there. It will feel good to get them off my list...whether I finish them or give them to someone else to finish and love makes no difference. Done is done!
I will leave you with a few more pics from our trip...

This is called THE  LONDON EYE and aptly so. There is quite a view of the city from the top. Mr. O wanted to go on this and I was  not really that interested, but it is not like a circus ride at all. It takes over 30 minutes to make one revolution. Each pod holds approximately 25 people and on a clear day you can see as far as Windsor Castle, which is quite a way out of the city. This wheel holds 32 pods;  one for every borough of London and it was built to celebrate the new millennium.
We rode it on a quiet day and there were only 4 of us in our pod. The pod that followed us however had 20 people that were being served champagne to celebrate some occasion. Apparently they even cater to weddings!
Here is one shot of our view from the top. It gives you an idea of just how high we were.
Previous pics taken from ground level showed just how tall Big Ben and the Parliament buildings were and if you look closely you can see Westminster Abbey dwarfed in behind Big Ben. 

Anne Hathaway's cottage in the Cotswolds.

London Bridge


St. Paul's Cathedral (they build 'em big over there!)

90 metre spire from a cathedral in Coventry England that survived an air raid during the 2nd World War. The new cathedral was built among the ruins as an act of forgiveness and reconciliation. It is like a phoenix rising out of the ashes of the ruins. They have incorporated one wall of the ruins as part of the replacement cathedral.




Last one for today...

Just look at the detail above one of the doors of the York Minster Cathedral (enlarge for details)

Master craftsmen worked on these buildings for many, many years. Some of these churches took 40 years to build and when you look at the attention paid to details that can hardly be seen you can understand why. More tomorrow...

p.s. Sharyn, nice to hear from you. Hope you are rested after your long trip home. I have no other way of contacting you but here. Enjoyed your company on tour!











1 comment:

  1. Wow, you obviously don't have a height problem. I had no idea that the London Eye was so large. What a view! and all those historical stone buildings--just amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I REALLY love to have feedback.